17 - 22 July Toronto, Canada
The 27th International Conference
on Atomic Physics

Travel, Lodging, and Transit

How To Get Here

The main venue for ICAP-27 is the Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM), at 273 Bloor Street West, Toronto, Ontario. Poster sessions will be held at at Hart House (7 Hart House Circle), which less than 10 minutes' walk from the RCM into the University of Toronto Campus. [see ICAP-27 Map]

Arrive by Plane

The closest airports are Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and the Billy Bishop island airport (YTO)

Public Transit

A rail line called the Union-Pearson Express (UP) connects the Pearson Airport (YYZ) to downtown Toronto. A one-way trip cost roughly \$10 CAD. Union Station (25 minutes' ride) is the simplest transfer station in order to get to any of the conference hotels. To purchase a ticket, either visit upexpress.com or buy a PRESTO transit card at the airport station. If you buy a PRESTO card, you will have to pay \$6 fee for the card, but then you can use this card for public transit in Toronto, including the subways, street cars, and buses.
Driving and Parking

City of Toronto maps are available online.

Driving directions from Hwy 401: from Highway 401, take Avenue Road south to Bloor Street, OR take the Don Valley Parkway south to the Bloor Street ramp and proceed west along Bloor to Avenue Road.

Driving directions from Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW): from the QEW, follow the Gardiner Expressway and exit at Spadina Avenue. Proceed north on Spadina Avenue to Bloor Street. At Bloor Street, turn right (east) and look for The Royal Conservatory’s TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning on the right side, just after the lights at Bedford Road.

The following parking lots are within walking distance of The Royal Conservatory’s TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning:

  • 9 Bedford Road, north of Bloor Street, west of Avenue Road
  • 37 Yorkville Ave, north of Bloor Street, east of Bay Street
  • 148 Cumberland Street, north of Bloor Street, east of Avenue Road
  • Yorkville Avenue and Bellair Street on the northwest corner

Facilities & Accommodations

Delegates are welcome to find their own lodging in Toronto. The ICAP-27 Map may be a useful starting point. The following options are provided only for convenience.

On-campus dormitory-style accommodations (typically with shared washrooms, and some without air conditioning) may also be available at the Colleges and residences on the University of Toronto St. George campus:

  • Victoria University has three buildings that are currently available, with rates that range from \$79.50 to \$113 per night (plus taxes). All rooms have A/C. Apply here.
  • New College Residence may be available for booking.
  • Massey College runs a summer residence program. Rates include breakfast, but rooms do not have air conditioning.
  • To investigate further options, start here. [Note that some colleges do not seem to be an option for ICAP-ers: University College residences are at capacity; Innis, Knox, and Wycliffe Colleges do not offer bookings less than 30 days.]

The University maintains a list of Toronto-Area Hotel and Hostels, however the usual search engines are of course more complete.

Visa information and invitation letters

As a reminder, most travellers wishing to travel to Canada need either a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). To check if you require a visa to Canada please click here.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Canada requires an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. Exceptions include United States citizens (who require only their passport) and travellers with a valid visa. An eTA (\$7 CAD) can be applied for on your smartphone or computer. Most applications are approved within minutes, but we recommend applying a few weeks before scheduled travel in case you need to provide additional documents (as it can be the case with some applicants). Travellers will need an eTA before they can board a flight to Canada.

Citizens of countries ineligible for an eTA will need to apply for a Visitor’s Visa. More information can be found here.

Visa-Required Countries and Biometrics

To check if you require a visa to Canada please click here.

We recommend that all delegates who require a visa submit their application by 15 April 2022, as wait times for a visa interview can be several months, and biometric data is now required for many applicants. In the event of a visa-application not being approved, the ICAP secretariat will consider a partial refund of registration fees (less an administrative fee) provided that you make this request by 15 July 2022. For more information on cancellation of registration, see the FAQs page.

Note that Canada requires biometric data as part of a visa application. The biometric data must given in person at a Visa Application Centre. Please note that this biometric cannot be collected at an airport overseas, or upon arrival - it forms part of the visa application, and must be arranged in advance.

Letter of Invitation for Visa Purposes

An official Letter of Invitation to obtain a Visa to Canada and authorization to attend the ICAP-27 Conference will be issued only after registration has been completed and full payment received by the ICAP-27 Conference Secretariat. (If you do not see a registration link on this web site yet, please check again on 21 February 2022). Please be advised that the Conference Secretariat requires 2-3 business days to process Letters of Invitation for registrations paid by cheque or bank transfer.

A Letter of Invitation is no guarantee that you will receive a visa. It is the sole responsibility of the attendee to contact the embassy or consulate to obtain the necessary paperwork for entry into Canada.